Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
All Other Questions
 24/7 Apartments Message Board : All Other Questions
Subject Topic: Apartment Viewing Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
F0ur2o

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01 February 2007 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote F0ur2o

Good day.  I am moving out of an apartment on March 1.  I gave my 60 days notice about 2 days ago. ( little late)  Within about 15 hours I was already getting very pressing phone calls, (From the property mgmt) that people on the waiting list wanted to view my apartment.  They actually wanted to come that day.  I understand that people need to see the unit and I was told that they have now have complete access to my unit, from 8am to 8pm since I have given my notice.  I thought i would have atleast gotten 24 Hrs notice.

I guess my main question is what is my position and do I have a leg to stand on if I tell them, "NO MORE VIEWINGS"

I guess I should mention that when I moved in I was denied access to view the unit because it was messy.  I was shown an identicle unit and had no issue with this.

I guess also I should mention I live in Ontario, Canada.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Back to Top View F0ur2o's Profile Search for other posts by F0ur2o

Elaine

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 March 2007 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote Elaine

Check your lease - it should stipulate the exact situation regarding viewings - I do believe you can request that you be present for the viewings and you are only avail certain days or times.

You can also double check the industry standard in the RTA, online (residential tenancies act).  The landlord must make a reasonable attepmt to notify you prior to entry.

"...Entry to show rental unit to prospective tenants:

(3) A landlord may enter the rental unit without written notice to show the unit to prospective tenants if,

(a) the landlord and tenant have agreed that the tenancy will be terminated or one of them has given notice of termination to the other;

(b) the landlord enters the unit between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.; and

(c) before entering, the landlord informs or makes a reasonable effort to inform the tenant of the intention to do so.  2006, c. 17, s. 26 (3).

The above was taken directly from the ACT, so make sure you let your landlord know that YOU know that they must make contact with you prior to entry....be certain they have your cell # or they may say they had no number to reach you.  Yada Yada...

They can enter without the standard written notice but they have to at least inform you prior to any viewings.

Back to Top View Elaine's Profile Search for other posts by Elaine

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version